- Controling the flow of execution in a program is a fundamental programming skill.
- This video that covers the commands that provide logic in your Cobol programs. Video (32:50)
- Let’s dive deeper into the Procedure Division by studying tables.
- Watch the following video that covers how
to create and process Cobol tables Video (23:07)
- It’s time to build some skills with Cobol tables by writing a program.
- To be a master Cobol programmer, you need to know how to use indexes for Cobol table processing.
- Here are the instructions
for your third exercise: Video 0:41)
- Once you have built a table, you’ll often need to search for a table entry based on a particular key. In Cobol, there are two
built-in verbs for doing that.
- Let’s tackle the first one (SEARCH) with the material in this Video (11:31) .
- Get some practice using SEARCH.
- The second verb you can use to search a Cobol table is called SEARCH ALL. This type of search performs a binary search of
a table, and is much faster for large tables than a sequential search.
- Cobol supports string operations with a technique called reference modification.
- This Video (3:52) shows you how
to use reference modification.
- Cobol has a few “exotic” commands for working with strings – commands that are only used in special circumstances, but are very powerful and handy
- The companion to STRING is UNSTRING.
- Let’s build our skills with STRING and UNSTRING.
- This Video (2:29) discusses the details of exercises #6 and #7.